FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $90.Applicable terms.
Beets on the beach by Laurent Dagenais
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 à 60 minutes
- 9 beets
- 4 cucumbers (cut in small irregular pieces)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 pomegranate (seeded)
- 1 bunch of parsley (chopped)
- Olive oil La Belle Excuse to taste
- 100 ml raspberry vinegar La Belle Excuse
- 200g feta cheese 20 (crumbled)
- 4 figs (cut in quarters)
- 12-15 walnuts (toasted)
- fresh dill
- 1 tbsp honey
- Fleur de sel La Belle Excuse to taste
- Freshly cracked black peppercorns
- Drizzle olive oil on the beets and season with fleur de sel. Wrap in foil individually. Place the wrapped beets on a rimmed baking sheet to catch drips in case the beet juices leak. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes in an oven preheated at 400F.
- Check the beets every 20 minutes or so. If they are starting to look dry or are scorching on the bottoms, dribble a tablespoon of water over the beets before re-wrapping. Beets are done when a fork or skewer slides easily to the center of the beet. Small beets will cook more quickly than large beets. Set the beets aside until cool enough to handle. Hold one of the beets in a paper towel and use the edges of the paper to rub the skin away. The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn’t, the beets likely need to cook for a little longer. Peel the remaining beets, cut in wedges and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the cucumbers, red onions, seeds from a pomegranate, parsley, olive oil, raspberry vinegar to the salad bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Transfer onto a plate. Place figs on top, add the crumbled feta, the toasted walnuts, the honey, the dill and fresh crack of pepper. Serve immediately.