FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $90.Applicable terms.
Home » Gourmet Recipes » Pea Soup
Portions: +/- 5 people
Preparation: 4 hours
Cooking time : +/- 3 hours
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. La Belle Excuse Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. La Belle Excuse Mediterranean fleur de sel
- 1 ¼ cup yellow peas, raw
- 200 g salted bacon, halved
- 6 cups of water
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 2-3 slices of bread, in pieces
- 3 tbsp. La Belle excuse extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Soak yellow peas for at least 4 hours in a large bowl of water.
- Soak half of the salt pork for at least 4 hours, changing the water 1-2 times. Soak the other half for only 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of La Belle Excuse Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add onions, carrots and celery. Add La Belle Excuse Mediterranean fleur de sel and a little pepper to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain the yellow peas and add to the pan. Add the salted bacon, which has not soaked, the bay leaves and the 6 cups of water. Do not add more salt to the soup as the bacon will add salt to the soup.
- Mix the soup well and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, add the bread pieces. Add 3 tbsp. of La Belle Excuse Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until croutons are golden and crispy.
- Drain the pieces of salted bacon that have been soaked in water. Cut into small pieces to make lardons. In a cold pan, add the pieces of bacon. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add maple syrup and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Serve the soup and garnish with the croutons and maple bacon.