FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $90.Applicable terms.
Home » Gourmet Recipes » Squash, Mascarpone and Caramelized Onion Flatbread by Vanessa Perrone
Squash, Mascarpone and Caramelized Onion Flatbread by Vanessa Perrone
Category: Main dishes
Serves : 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time : about 40 minutes
For the flatbread
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) La Belle Excuse extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. (1 ml) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
For the filling
- 1 delicata squash, cut into 1 cm rings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped rosemary, and more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- 2 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) La Belle Excuse Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (250°C). Place a rack in the lower part of the oven. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, place yogurt, olive oil and salt and mix. Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Flour a work surface and a rolling pin. Transfer the dough to the work surface and form a ball. Roll the dough into a rectangular flatbread 0.5 cm (quarter inch) thick. Transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the flatbread is golden brown. Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). On another baking sheet, place squash rings and toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until tender and golden. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, a pinch of salt and toss to coat all onions with oil. Let the onions cook until soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Add 1 to 2 tbsp (30 mL) of water to the pan as the onions dry, to prevent burning. Once golden brown, add balsamic vinegar and reduce for about 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- To assemble the flatbread: Spread a thin layer of mascarpone on the flatbread. Top with squash and caramelized onions. Return flatbread to the preheated oven and bake for 5-7 minutes until heated through. Garnish with arugula, a pinch of sea salt, rosemary and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before slicing and serving.
Recipe in collaboration with Vanessa Perrone, vanessaperrone.com