FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $90.Applicable terms.
Pork Gyros with La Belle Excuse marinade and Tzatziki
Category: Main dishes
- 2 kilos pork plowshare
- 6 potatoes
- 6 Greek pitas
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Red onions (optional)
- 125g Agorelio olive oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) Roasted garlic and white balsamic mustard
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Red wine vinegar
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) Pearl onion confit with lemon balsamic
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) dried mountain oregano on stalk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) cumin
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) Mediterranean fleur de sel
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) sweet paprika
- 23 ml (1 1/2 tbsp.) chili flakes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) white pepper
- 75 ml (5 tbsp.) honey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 500 ml (2 cups) Greek yogurt
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) grated cucumber
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) dill
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) flat-leaf parsley or mint
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped.
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice pork into relatively thin slices.
- Combine all marinade ingredients.
- Add pork to marinade one slice at a time, ensuring that each slice is well coated with marinade. This will maximize flavor.
- Using a vertical skewer, skewer the slices one after the other (I like to put sliced potatoes in half to make a base and protect the meat).
*If you don’t have a vertical support, use wooden skewers (2), and prick into the potato halves previously placed on a plate to ensure stability. Add half a lemon or onion to secure the end of the skewer.
- Place in bbq or oven at 275°F (until internal temperature reaches 145°F).
- Peel and grate the cucumber, then season generously with salt. Leave to drain for 15 minutes (this step is important to prevent the water in the cucumber from altering the texture of the sauce).
- Finely chop the dill, flat-leaf parsley and garlic.
- Mix all tzatziki ingredients and chill for at least one hour before use. A three-hour rest is optimal.
- Make fries: Deep-fry at 375°F until golden brown.
- Slice the pork directly from the rack and start assembling the gyros with the pita, tzatziki, pork and fries. Add tomatoes and onions to taste. *To assemble, place the pita on a layer of aluminum foil and parchment paper to help roll and eat the gyros.
- Enjoy again and again!